Sunday, May 3, 2009

Newly restored Aquidneck Mill opens in Newport on May 14

On Thursday, May 14, the International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS), a non profit organization, will celebrate the opening of the newly restored 1831 Aquidneck Mill. Originally built for textile manufacturing, the Mill has been restored to house expansion space for IYRS, a maritime research library, the school's new Visitor Center, and lease space for twelve companies that have relocated businesses, jobs, and new economic activity to the Lower Thames Street neighborhood. The ceremony on May 14 begins at the school's campus at 11 am at 449 Thames Street. Ceremonies will be followed by an open house that runs until 2 pm. Newport Collaborative Architects served as architects of the project and construction was managed by Farrar & Associates. The Aquidneck Mill is one of only two surviving mills in Newport.

This is a good example of a mill project that Bristolians can eye for possible comparable ideas for Robin Rug. Much of the relocating businesses are marine related trades. For more info or directions call IYRS at 401 848 5777 or visit

IYRS has a new Marine Systems program taught in Bristol at 253 Franklin Street in Andy Tyska's marine complex. These programs are year round and focus on marine technology systems and specialties. See page one of the April 29 - May 1, 2009 East Bay Life section of the Bristol Phoenix newspaper. Also see a related article in the April 30, 2009 Phoenix on page 9 titled: Mosaico offers money for Bristol residents to learn marine industry skills. Call Mosaico at 253 4627 for more info or drop by their office in the northeast corner of the Bristol Statehouse building or visit

Read a short perceptive interview with Morgan Huntley, a young IYRS '08 Marine Systems graduate at:

No comments: